Sunday 27 May – Sunday 3 June
Reconciliation Australia coordinates National Reconciliation Week (NRW), each year developing the theme and resources while Reconciliation Victoria promotes NRW at a local level. This year's theme is “Don't keep history a mystery - Learn. Share. Grow.”
National Reconciliation Week invites all Australians to learn, share and grow, by exploring our past, learning more about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history and cultures, and developing a deeper understanding of our national story. This theme ties in with one of the five key dimensions of meaningful reconciliation: addressing historical injustices.
We agree with Reconciliation Australia that 'Reconciliation must live in the hearts, minds and actions of all Australians as we move forward, creating a nation strengthened by respectful relationships between the wider Australian community and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.'
Plan, attend and support events that celebrate and build on respectful relationships shared by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and other Australians, and that show how non-Aboriginal Australians can be active supporters of reconciliation. You can also promote NRW on social media, at your workplace, school, faith and community organisation.
Some examples of events or activities you could organise for your community include:
- Film screenings, festivals, concerts, poetry or book readings
- Aboriginal heritage walks and cultural tours
- Public forums on reconciliation (e.g. at the Town Hall or local library)
- Exhibitions, talks or performances by local Aboriginal artists, musicians, craftspeople or businesses
- Reconciliation breakfasts or festivals featuring Indigenous cuisine
- Dreamtime story-telling and displays in local schools, libraries, council offices or public spaces.
- Supporting the permanent display of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander flags or banners where they haven’t been before
You could also support activities within local schools by:
- Helping to arrange guest speakers or workshops
- Supporting an Aboriginal flag raising event, art competition or display
For more ideas on how to get involved, check out Reconciliation Australia's website
NRW Posters and Resources are available on Reconciliation Australia's website
To promote an event, or find one near you, check out Reconciliation Australia's NRW Events Calendar.
Click here for more ideas about how you can get involved in meaningful reconciliation, both during National Reconciliation Week and throughout the year!