NRW 2019 is a key activity in the Reconciliation Movement’s strategy to support Australians in making progress on the Five Dimensions required to achieve reconciliation. Each year the theme engages with one of the Five Dimensions, and the theme this year will focus on building positive race relations. Find out more about Reconciliation Australia's Five Dimensions.
To foster positive race relations, the relationship between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and the broader community must be grounded in truth. Whether you’re engaging in challenging conversations or unlearning and relearning what you know, this journey requires all of us to walk together with courage.
Plan events that celebrate and build on respectful relationships shared by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and other Australians and that show how non-Aboriginal Australians can be active supporters of reconciliation. Some examples of events or activities you could plan for your community include:
- Public forums on Reconciliation (e.g. at the Town Hall or local library);
- Aboriginal heritage walks and cultural tours;
- Film screenings, festivals, concerts, poetry or book readings;
- Exhibitions, talks or performances by local Aboriginal artists, musicians, craftspeople or businesses;
- Supporting the permanent display of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander flags or banners where they haven’t been before;
- Reconciliation Breakfasts or festivals featuring Indigenous cuisine;
- Dreamtime story-telling and displays in local schools, libraries, council offices or public spaces;
Or you could support activities within local schools such as arranging guest speakers or workshops, or support an Aboriginal flag raising, an art competition or display.
NRW Small Grants
Reconciliation Victoria is offering a small number of Small Grants to local reconciliation and community groups, schools and Early Learning Centres to assist with the planning of events to celebrate National Reconciliation Week.
We encourage community groups, schools and local councils to work together, and in partnership with local Aboriginal groups or organisations, to strengthen relationships between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people and engage your entire community.
There are a limited number of Small Grants of up to $500 on offer. To apply for a Small Grant complete the Online Application Form before Wednesday 27 March 2019, 11:59pm.
Learn more about National Reconciliation Week here.