The Victorian Treaty Advancement Commission (VTAC) began operation in January 2018, following the appointment of Jill Gallagher AO as Commissioner. The Commission is undertaking community consultations around the State and will oversee the establishment of an Aboriginal Representative Body to negotiate with the government.
Find out here about future opportunities to hear from the Commissioner.
In mid-2018, Reconciliation Victoria was pleased to commence building community support for Treaty by engaging non-Aboriginal Victorians through a series of regional roadshows in partnership with VTAC and many local councils. These roadshows helped build the capacity and understanding of local government, local reconciliation supporters and the general public of the various roles they can play to support Treaty.
The roadshows visited the following regions:
- Grampians-Mallee (Ballarat, Horsham, Mildura, Swan Hill)
- Loddon-Hume (Bendigo, Echuca, Shepparton, Wodonga, Wangaratta)
- Gippsland (Drouin, Morwell)
For further information including Aboriginal perspectives on Treaty in Victoria please visit:
- Aboriginal Community Assembly Portal
- Victorian Greens Treaty Now campaign for Clans-based treaties
- Traditional Owner Land Justice Group fundraising for a Clans Elders Council Treaty Gathering
- Response/call from the Federation of Victorian Traditional Owner Corporations